LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

if you leave work to make an a hospital appointment and they

if you leave work to make an a hospital appointment and they can't see you within a reasonable time (hour+) does one have any monetary recourse?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Are you asking if you can sue for damages, as a result of having to wait? Was this person ever seen by the doctor and why did they have to wait for an extended period of time, when they had an appointment?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

The person is me. Yes I'm asking if I can sue for damages (time spent, travel time, etc)

I had an appointment after 20 minutes someone came out to say I was next. 15 min later someone else asked if they could help 10 min later someone told me they are looking into it. Never did I get a time they would see me. I had to eventually leave for (in my mind) an more important meeting

Kevin, thank you for the additional information. I am unaware of any cases or case law, that would allow and support a cause of action against a doctor, for having someone wait for an appointment, for an extended period of time, after they were supposed to be seen. If you tried to sue, you would first need to show that the actions of the doctor were deliberate and they acted in bad faith. You would need to show that it was their intent, to make you wait and miss whatever else you had scheduled for that day. Moreover, you would need to show that they also knew about it. In addition, the doctor could have a defense that it was foreseeable that an appointment may be delayed and a patient would have to wait. After all, everything does not run on time and there are typically unexpected delays, during the day. Another issue is the fact that you selected the appointment and if there was a chance that it would cause a possible conflict with work, it should have been changed to another time, when you did not have to be some place else. I know it is not what you were hoping to hear but I do not think you would be successful suing the doctor for damages, as a result of the wait and travel time, unless you can show that the actions of the doctor were purposeful and intentional and they wanted you to be harmed by their delay.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.