Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

May a retired lawyer from Massachusetts represent his wife

May a retired lawyer from Massachusetts represent his wife in a civil action brought by her in Vermont?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Since the attorney is retired, and he is not licensed to practice in Vermont, representing her would be considered 'unauthorized practice of law' and would not be permitted. While he can always represent himself, once he is retired, he cannot represent others, even family, especially in jurisdictions in which he never practiced in.

I am sorry!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will VT court entertain a motion to allow the retired lawyer to act for his wife in this civil case only?

Thank you for your follow-up. If the attorney pursues a reinstatement with his local state bar, perhaps it is possible, but once retired, an attorney is technically no longer practicing and no longer permitted to represent anyone else. He would therefore first need to become active again, and then file a pro hac vice petition with the courts.

Hope that clarifies.