Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My wife and I are housesitting and just discovered a hidden

My wife and I are housesitting and just discovered a hidden camera in the guest bedroom that we were provided. Is this legal or illegal. Keep in mind, this is in the room where we sleep, dress, etc.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The owner of a home can have cameras hidden in their home except they are not to have them in areas where non-residents should have a reasonable expectation of privacy, such as bathrooms or bedrooms. The issue here though is that you are not really a tenant, you are a house sitter and as such they could argue that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy only if you were not staying at the house. Since you are staying there, there is an expectation of privacy and they should not be recording as it can be deemed illegal under the video voyeurism laws and also could be considered an invasion of privacy.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.