How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 101983
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Car accident, no injury. California. Date of accident, 10/30/13 My

This answer was rated:

Car accident, no injury. California. Date of accident, 10/30/13
My mom uses a car registered in my name and she is on my car insurance policy. Full coverage insurance. My mom pulled out of parking space, she was fully into the common lane area (car fully out of parking stall). Another lady behind her started to back out, my mom honked and didnt have time to put car in forward gear to avoid accident. Other car hit my moms car, no damage to other persons car but there is extensive bumper damage to my mothers car. No witness, no pictures (my mom isnt very legal savvy) but in accordance to california law, they exchanged insurance information. What is my best approach to resolve this issue? Should I report to my insurance or go directly to the other persons insurance first? Since there is no damage to other persons car, I am hoping that AT MINIMUM the others persons insurance will share costs (joint liability) in repairing moms car. My mom believes that the lady might lie about what happened.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

The best thing to do here would probably be to report this to one's insurance. Because there were no witnesses and no one was assigned blame by the police, then allow the insurance companies to argue between themselves - this is what they are there for.

The issue is that the other party is very likely to report this to either you or their insurance, anyhow. If this is not reported by you, it only makes it look as though you are more liable.

In short, it is best to report and have the insurance do what you are paying them to do in the first place.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you