Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Is there a limit or guidelines to how much and how long a CA

Is there a limit or guidelines to how much and how long a CA attorney can charge on a contingency basis for a LTD cancellation dispute.

They get 40% of everything including future payments?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under CA law, contingency fee agreements are based on contract between the attorney and client (unlike workers compensation and unemployment cases where the statutes limit fees). Thus, in this type of contract dispute, the attorney can charge any fee that is reasonable (the standard contingency agreement is 33% before filing suit and 40% after filing suit).

In determining if a fee is reasonable, the bar rules say they look to the complexity of the issue, the time involved and the experience of the attorney. This is all that th rules require.

They can collect their fee in accordance to whatever they wrote in their fee agreement though.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.