Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

About 20 years ago I touched the lower buttocks of a

About 20 years ago I touched the naked lower buttocks of a 17 year old boy.I swept one finger across his lower buttocks and that was it. A lawyer told me that that constituted a simple assault. Over the pat 20 years the boy has held an unreasonable grudge and has spread word in the family that I was a child molester and worse. These statements ruined several important relationships and gave me great anxiety and hurt. Can I sue this, now, man for slander?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

Can I sue this, now, man for slander?

Technically, yes, although whether or not you wish to do so is up to you.

To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state because they all stem from the same common law. A pleading in Court needs at least one cause of action, although it is not unusual to have more than one.

To establish a case of defamation, the plaintiff must prove the following: the defendant published a defamatory statement to a third person; the defamatory statement identified the plaintiff to a third person; and the plaintiff's reputation suffered injury as a result of the statement. Civ. Jury Ins. 3.11-1. So him stating these things arguably fit. Now, he may claim that you touched him in the shower 20 years ago. What constitutes "molesting" really depends on the jury, in the end. There is a big difference between a playful slap between - say - sport players, and, molestation.

Now, CT has a statute of limitations of 2 years for defamation, so one needs to sue within 2 years of the last statement uttered.

May I recommend the CT Bar referral programs - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

It is also very important to perhaps cease communication with the individual for now. Whatever one states may be used in Court. One may wish to hold a position that this was only a playful slap...

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)