How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 24989
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of massachusetts once a person is arrested how

Resolved Question:

In the state of massachusetts once a person is arrested how long does the state have to bring charges ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Is the offense a misdemeanor or a felony?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was a felony that occured a long time ago and charges were brought against after 8 months.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

The statute of limitations for most felonies in Massachusetts is six years. It's 10 years for robbery or assault with intent to rob or murder, 15 years for rape, and 27 years for sex crimes against children. There is no statute of limitations on murder. G. L. c. 277, Section 63.

Typically, once taking someone into custody, the state must either file charges and take them before the judge for an arraignment within 48 hours or release them. But a person who is released without charges can still be arrested and charged any time before the statute of limitations expires. A person who was held in jail for 8 months without ever being taken before the judge may have a claim for damages against the state, unless he was being held on something like a parole or probation violation and not the felony itself.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 24989
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks. While incarcerated I was arrested.and a resulting probation violation occured. However, the conditions of probation were"on and after I serve my sentence then i would be subject to probation conditions and violations not before I finished. In other words I was not on probation while incarcerated sevring a "before and then"(not sure of terminology)


So as it relates to the original question; does the statute of limitations change if arrested and then incarcerated? in other words does the clock start ticking the moment one is being held especially if the that person shouldnt have been held due to an illegal or improper probation and would habeous corpus come into play ?



Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
The statute of limitations never changes. A lot of people get confused by what the statute of limitations means, but it only applies to the amount of time the state has to bring charges against someone. It starts ticking when the crime occurs and stops ticking when charges are filed or the accused person leaves the state for an extended period of time.

You're asking how long they can hold you without taking you before a judge who has established probable cause, which is a separate issue. It has nothing to do with the term statute of limitations.

If you're being held on a probation violation, unfortunately, the judge has discretion to order you held until the hearing on that violation. This is similar to the way he can order a person charged with a crime held until trial, even if guilt hasn't been proven yet.

Habeas corpus is a request to be released from custody. It is only filed by or on behalf of prisoners. But if you are saying they held you unlawfully because you did not violate probation and they did not file any charges against you or take you in front of the judge for an arraignment and bail hearing, then you may want to talk to a local criminal attorney about whether you can file a civil rights suit against the state.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.