N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

My roommate is on probation and her and 2 of her friends where

Customer Question

My roommate is on probation and her and 2 of her friends where in my home while I was gone.. the cops came at 11:30pm and just came in the house.. Roommate opens door with screen shut they exchange words then the cop went and open screen door and walked in. Went to my room even thou I wasn't home and broke in my room. I always lock door when I'm not home to be safe. They went thru my room and went to my kids room took 2 bikes then left.. I would like to know my rights with the cops cause this isn't their first time trying to "punk me" in my home.. thank you for all your assistance..
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry to hear this.

Who owned the bikes?

Did they cause any damage or take any other property?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you.. I own the bikes.. well one is my moms and the other is my daughters...

Damage and other property as of rite now nothing further.. per roommate.. however they took stuff before without it on "inventory sheet" . So I haven't gone home yet to see for myself..

My opinion is that while it was legal to enter the home f the person on probation has a search clause as part of her probation, it was not legal to break into your locked room and it was not legal to take the bicycles.

My opinion is that you have claims for conversion (theft of the bikes), invasion of privacy, trespassing and violating your Fourth Amendment rights, so I suggest discussing this with a civil rights lawyer. Prevailing plaintiffs in civil rights actions are routinely awarded attorney fees, so even though it may not seem like a federal case, it is, at your option. You can sue under 42 US Code § 1983 in either State or Federal Court.

You can get a free consultation from some of the California based civil rights lawyers listed here.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience: since 1983
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I want to thank you so very much with all your help.. I appreciate everything you have enlighted me on. Its crazy how cops have become so cut throat and untrustworthy anymore.

Thank you for the positive rating!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok they left a property paper so i can call n get stuff back.. iwas reading on there 30 day hold on some things.. now should i call n demand to have them returned to me... i shouldnt wait the 30 days thou..

There is nothing to be gained by waiting to make a written demand for return of your property.