Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I used my company credit card for personal purchases. I have

I used my company credit card for personal purchases. I have been doing this for 3 years. I always pay it back with a money order. About 2 months ago I filed an EEOC charge against the company for discriminating against my disability. Now they have terminated my employment and used the excuse that I was using the card for personal use and forgot to pay 3 items (total $735) all groceries. No T.V.s or sneakers. Groceries. A deputy sheriff came to my house to talk and get my side of the story. I guess this is the beginning of a criminal case. I really just missed it because I lost the receipt and thought it was the usual store supplies. I don't know what to do and all I want to do is pay it back and go on with my life. I start a new job next week and when they do a background check I'm probably going to get terminated there as well. How do I get out of this situation? I have no priors and I'm 38 years old and own a home with my wife and 3 daughters. My youngest was born 3 weeks ago and I don't want to go to jail. Not for $735. Never have I ever been this scared.
Please help.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Were you arrested or charged with any crime as of yet?

Did you make any statements to the police about this situation?

Were you given permission by your former employer to use company credit card for personal purchases and was former employer aware of this personal charges on the company card?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not arrested as of yet. Just questioned.

I did tell the deputy sheriff that I wanted to pay it and that it was a horrible unintentional mistake.

I was given permission to use the card for personal purchases by the divisional vice president. They saw personal charges all the time and still approved all of my expense reports.

Dear Troy,

Thank you for your follow up.

It is never a good idea for a suspect to volunteer any statements to the police, especially without having local criminal defense attorney present during questioning, as anything that you state to the police can be used against you, if criminal charges are filed against you.

At this point, the best thing to do would be to consult with an experienced local criminal defense attorney and have this attorney handle all communications with police and former employer and hopefully your local criminal defense attorney will be able to present evidence that you were permitted to use corporate credit card for personal purposes and the entire situation is a simple oversight on your part, where you simply missed a payment and did not intend to defraud your former employer out of any money.

You can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.