Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
9200179

Dear Sir or Madam, we have a new employee with a working visa

Dear Sir or Madam,
we have a new employee with a working visa H1B starting his employment today. Our company is located in Massachusetts. Employee's family is going to have medical insurance provided with our company, his employer. The enrollment forms need his SSN. However, the new employee will receive his SSN within a month only. The insurance companies reject to put his family under the insurance plan without SSN. What kind of health insurance will this employee has until his SSN is issued?

What if he has a medical emergency?

thank you,
sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX MA
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Take a look at this link:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1669/~/time-frame-for-processing-a-social-security-card-for-a-legal-alien

He should have applied for his SSN already as soon as his H-1B was approved. If he did not, then that is on him. As you are probably aware, most companies do not issue insurance to employees until they pass a certain period of probation, usually 90 days or so. What that employee does to obtain coverage is up to them. If you want to provide coverage immediately, I don't think it is unreasonable that you provide it in two weeks when he provides the SSN.

If he wants to have coverage for those two weeks, I'm sure he can easily find an insurance company to cover him for two weeks and if you want to reimburse him, that is up to you as well.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Mr Senmartin,

thank you very much for your reply.

as far as we knew, the new employee was eligible to apply for SSN after 10 days upon his arrival to USA. According to your information, he had to apply for SSN at the moment of approval of his H1B visa. At that moment the employee was still in his native country. He arrived to USA only yesterday.

Also, what insurance companies can he use to buy his temporary health insurance? Can he buy insurance without SSN?

I was told by our health insurance provider that he cannot buy individual insurance because he has to be insured in a group under his employer insurance.

I am confused completely.

thank you,

olga lisogurskaya

Thank you for the positive rating! He was not "required" to apply for an SSN as soon as he was eligible, but he should have. If he arrived only yesterday, then that is fine, not his fault. He should just go today to apply and hopefully in a week or two he will have the number and you can get him insurance. As far as what companies he can buy insurance from at this moment in time, that I cannot tell you, but for example, I know that www.aetna.com was insuring even undocumented persons. So it is not something that you should be confused or overworrying about. Just call a few insurance agencies. I just did a quick Google search for rankings of medical insurance companies in Massachusetts and this is what I got:

http://health-insurance-plans.findthebest.com/d/c/Massachusetts

So just do a little research and you should be fine.