TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Can I have both a public name which I use for business purposes

Can I have both a public name which I use for business purposes and my actual name used for government documentation without formally changing my name?

Am I misrepresenting myself if I shorten my name in this way?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

Can your provide an example of what you mean? Are you changing your name, or simply using a shortened version. For example, my name is XXXXX XXXXX often in business I go by Zach. Is that the same thing you are asking about?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wish to shorten my last name. I have a long Ethnic name.

Thanks for your response. I need a bit more information from you to provide you with proper guidance.

When you say that you want to do business with the shortened name, are you talking about simply introducing yourself with the shortened name, or are you talking about signing contracts or being paid with the shortened name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want to name my consulting company after my shortened name. Therefore payment made to the LLC company should not be an issue.

However if I print business cards and market myself as the shortened name am I doing anything illegal or unethical?

Excellent response. Thank you very much.

No, shortening your last name on marketing and other material is not illegal or unethical. This has been something that people in the US have done for many years. The only time you cannot do it is when you providing information to the government, in which case you will need to use your full name. Also, if you enter into a contract personally, you would need to use your full name or you risk not being able to enforce the contract.

You do have the option of changing your name officially if you believe it is necessary, but you are not required to do so under the circumstances you have described.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Zachary. For contract you mentioned above, how would I write the name? Can it be something like " Short Example (formally known as Short Examplopoulos)?

Absolutely, that would be a very good way of identifying yourself in a contract.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Last question I promise. Can I use me shortened name on a resume?

Absolutely. However, if you accept a job, you will need to provide the employer your full name for use on their tax reporting documents.