How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116153
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i lived with my fiancee for 4.5 yrs, in michigan until she

This answer was rated:

i lived with my fiancee for 4.5 yrs, in michigan until she decided to let me go and feels that she owes nothing to me financially. She owns the house and paid the utilities, over the course of the engagement, I invested $250,000+ into her and the house. Do I have any legal recourse?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, under MI laws, there is no palimony or support for a boyfriend/girlfriend. However, if you can prove you invested your separate funds into her personal separate property, you can seek to claim reimbursement for the funds you spent in contemplation of marriage on improving her separate property. Without written agreement, these cases are not ease and you must have a local attorney review your facts and actual evidence, but if you can show the money was spent in contemplation that you would be married and you would be staying in the home as the marital home, it is possible for you to obtain reimbursement or a lien on the home to repay you for your investment into her property.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you