Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

i vacated a commercial lease and surrendered the lease in writing.

i vacated a commercial lease and surrendered the lease in writing. But i left gym equipment in the space. Will I be liable down the road for rent.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did you surrender the lease in writing and also turned the key over to the landlord?

Did the landlord inspect the premises upon your move out?

Did you address this issue with the landlord?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The commercial space is in the bronx ny. I sent a letter invoking my goodguy clause. I paid the remaining rent for the next 4 months and then i dropped of the keys and a letter stating i have vacated the property. I do not know if the landlord has checked the property. I advised them that what ever is left is considered junk. many pieces of gym equipment were left, which i do not want.

Dear Jon,

Did you send the letter by certified mail to the landlord with return receipt for your records?

Did your written lease expire or did you pay rent up to the expiration date of the commercial lease?

Is there any particular reason why you are avoiding or not willing to contact the landlord directly about this situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i dropped the letter off at the landlords office. After I invoked the the Goodguy clause, which states I can exit the lease by paying an additional 4 months rent. I paid the 4 months rent in a check and dropped off the keys. The landlord did not ask. and i did not mention it because the company has no money to hire a moving company to move the equipment.
Dear Jon,

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, commercial tenant would be responsible to return rented commercial space in the same condition in which it was, when the tenant moved in.

So, if there is some heavy equipment that is left on the commercial premises that were rented, then it the landlord might pursue legal claim against the former tenant for any actual removal / cleanup costs, but not for any additional rent.

I wish you the best of luck!