Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Can you give us some examples that Insurance Company committed

Can you give us some examples that Insurance Company committed bad faith business
practice. Thank you.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

A showing of an insurance company's disregard of facts or proof can support a claim of bad faith.

1. Though an insurance company inspected property destroyed by a fire, it did not investigate to determine the cause of the fire. Rather, the company baselessly accused its client of arson and denied the claim. A Nebraska court found the insurance company acted in bad faith.

2. An insurance company was found to be in bad faith when a worker's compensation claim was denied based on an arbitrary decision by a claims adjuster. The claims adjuster reclassified the claimant's condition from "injury" to "non-confining illness" after reading medical records, though he had neither spoke to the claimant's doctors nor called for an independent medical examination. The company offered three months' compensation. The claimant, who was unable to return to work, was seeking permanent disability benefits.

3. A California court found that a commercial insurance provider of general liability insurance acted in bad faith when it did not honestly evaluate its client's vulnerability to liability to third persons. The company also failed to accurately determine its indemnity obligation and limited its settlement under mistaken information.

4. A title insurance company in California was found to be in bad faith because of its successive attempts to evade responsibility for its obvious negligence. The company failed to disclose about an easement on the insured's property. When the insured discovered the easement, an appraiser estimated a loss of nearly $63,000. The insurance company first denied liability. It later offered to settle for a nominal amount. It finally conducted an appraisal of the loss but only after a court found it liable.

I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you and your generous bonus. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-Loren/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Holly, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.  
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

Is there a CCP or Civil code (CA) that requires the insurance company to act in good faith?

Hi Holly.

See the following link: http://www.harp.org/calinsbf.htm#790.03

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I paid bonus twice on October 30, 2013 because you answered our two questions.

We are wondering if you did get the two bonus credit on October 30, 2013? Thank you.

Hi Holly.

I only see one bonus on 2 ratings.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I must check with the Justanswer's accounting Dept.

We will let you know what happen to your bonus that we paid you.

Thank you.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, We contacted the Customer service, you should receive your second

bonus for your answers on 10/30/2013. Thank you.

Thank you. That was very kind of you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, You mention this case:

Would you please give us the Name of the case for review? Thank you.

Unfortunately, it was an uncited note in an article I came across. But here is an article with case law and California statute citation which may be helpful in your research

http://www.mvplaw.com/post/articles/bad%20faith.pdf

Thank you.