Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Is it illegal to use gps and spy equipment to track someone

Is it illegal to use gps and spy equipment to track someone in the state of Wisconsin?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, could you explain the situation a bit more? Is this an employment matter, a personal matter, a family matter? Who owns the vehicle and the GPS in this instance, the party who wishes to track, or the party who is going to be tracked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My girlfriend has been tracked with a gps unit put on by her husband (she is going through a divorce) on her car. He wants to know where she is and what she is doing.

Thank you for your follow-up.

If he physically owns the GPS unit and the vehicle is his, the spouse can track the vehicle--that would not violate state law. If the vehicle is under her name however, and not his, then that would be a violation because he has no legal basis to track a vehicle that does not belong to him. What would govern here is ownership as that would likewise control whether the behavior would be permitted or not. Since a person can place tracking devices on his property, he can do so to anything under his name, including the GPS and the vehicle.

Hope that clarifies.