Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My nephew went to court and lost on a animal cruelty case.

My nephew went to court and lost on a animal cruelty case. He tried to defend himself. After he got to see there evidence,after the trial, he could see he had his windows down about 3 inches .The officer said under oath they were up. He could not prove that until after the trial. He has filed a appeal. He is still going to defend himself. His fine is $640.00 Does he have a leg to stand on. Thanks Craig
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he can prove the officer was not truthful in his testimony and the windows were down sufficiently, then he would have to seek to base his appeal on the testimony not being consistent with the evidence.

He should have an attorney here because he lost once and if he does not properly word his appeal he is going to lose again when it sounds from your statement he has a possible ground to appeal and be successful.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would a better approach be to get the officer to admit his reason for the ticket, under the statues of the Animal Cruelty Law? If he states that his reason is abandonment, because based on the definition of abandonment, that was not done.

Thank you for your response.

Of course, that is part of his defense and questioning of the officer as the officer has to testify to the elements of the crime he charged him with and why his actions fit those elements.