Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My boyfriend has an outstanding civil warrant for contempt

My boyfriend has an outstanding civil warrant for contempt of court. He need to fly from the United States to Dubai for business. Does he have to worry about being arrested either leaving or entering the United States?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your question directly, if this warrant was entered against him, it can appear on database review. Once a warrant, be it civil or criminal, is issued, the individual can be arrested upon having his information reviewed. It is fairly unlikely that customs will arrest him, but it is possible once a warrant is issued. Perhaps before he flies he may want to contact the court and negotiate removal of the warrant from his record, such as via payment of a fine.

Hope that helps.