Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Hello: I tried to purchase services in Florida with cash.

I tried to purchase services in Florida with cash. I was refused service unless I allowed my Florida driver license to be photo copied and retained in the file of the provider. Is this a legal activity to maintain driver license information?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, what type of services were you seeking to purchase? Was this a one-time service request or on-going service such as vehicle rental? Please advise!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, a one type professional service.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This was a one time professional service. Cash was tendered and a copy of driver license was required to be maintained in their file.

Thank you for your follow-up

. It does appear to be a situation where the seller or provider of services was seeking to obtain your driver's license information. However under Florida law that is not against the state code or statutes. Provided the party responsibly maintains such information and does not permit it to fall into improper hands, ensures that the information is not used against you such as via identity theft or fraud, the requests are valid and legal. You do not have to comply, but in return the provider does not have to provide the services that you are seeking. This is not a violation in this case so providing him with information (or not) is purely your choice.

Hope that clarifies.