TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I want to file a civil action pro se in NC that exceeds the

I want to file a civil action pro se in NC that exceeds the judicial limit for small claims court.

What is the primary difference in the actual documents that are required for the initial filing in either court?

What documents are necessary in district court to start the process?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

The documentary requirements of district court far exceed those of small claims court. The main difference for district court though is that the NC Rules of Civil Procedure and Rules of Evidence apply to the case. These are an exceedingly complicated set of rules. This is why generally it is left to a lawyer to handle cases in district court. That being said, you of course have the constitutional right to file a case there and represent yourself.

The first step is filing the Petition. An example of a Petition with instructions can be seen on the following page:

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,