ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

If a spouse asks for his/her spouses phone records to be brought

If a spouse asks for his/her spouse's phone records to be brought to court, will the phone company show all phone numbers that the spouse had contacted and will they show all text messages?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

First of all, the phone records brought by the spouse may or may not contain the same information that the phone company would provide if the records were directly subpoenaed by the requesting spouse. That is, a court subpoena to the phone companies could reveal more information than the records brought by the other spouse.

ScottyMacEsq :

Typically the phone numbers called and received are the ones that are most common. Sometimes they will also show the text message information (meaning numbers texted and numbers texts are received). As for the content of the text messages (that is, what is actually said), only Verizon stores those, and ONLY for 3-5 days. The other carriers don't store them at all. It's like them recording your phone calls. It's a bit different for them to show the number called and how long the conversation was than it is to actually record the call itself. The same applies to text messages.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate this answer either a 3, 4, or 5 (good or better). Please note that I do not get any credit for this answer unless and until you rate it that way. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!