Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

When picking up a deceased body from a hospital, can the funeral

When picking up a deceased body from a hospital, can the funeral director get the date of birth, time of death, next of kin with contact number and the acting doctors full name and contact number? I understand the SSN of the deceased is something we can get from the family, but the other information is what we need to start on the death cert.
Hello. My name isXXXXX am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.

Funeral director should be able to obtain from the hospital all of the personally identifiable information related to the deceased with the exception of the social security number, since such release of information is done for a lawful purpose.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would I be able to get something in writing regarding this? I have two hospitals that refuse to give the information and makes it hard on the family's of the deceased.

Dear XXXXX,

This service is only limited to legal professionals, such as myself, providing customers with general legal answers and we are not permitted to provide any type of legal advice or legal service to JustAnswer.com customers.

It is up to each hospital to establish its own policy on the release of such information, as the law does not specifically cover this topic and most Florida hospitals would have a policy that would release medical information to a coroner or a medical examiner. This may be necessary, for example, to identify a deceased person or determine the cause of death. Also most Florida Hospitals would release medical information about patients of Florida Hospital to funeral directors as necessary to carry out their duties.

If any particular hospital is refusing to release such necessary information to a funeral director, it would be an issue that would have to be addressed with the hospital administration.

I wish you the best of luck!