Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

I was sent to Catholic Charities in Houston Tx I had a son

I was sent to Catholic Charities in Houston Tx I had a son Apirl 11,1969.I know his first name but not last name. His name isXXXXX died 1994 but he had 2 daughters,they are over 21 and I would like to contact them. Catholic Charities will not let me send them a letter. My son's Mother said they are to young. Is there a way to find out there first and last names so I can write to them.I don't know how he died I would like to know where he is buried too.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 11 months ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

My name is Brandon. I have to be straightforward--you haven't give me a lot to work with, so I'm not optimistic. Let's see what we can figure out. First, please clear something up for me. I understand that you were sent to Catholic Charities and you had a son in April 1969. Why do we think that Catholic Charities would have any information about the names or whereabouts of your grandchildren?

Customer:

because the adoption was through them and they always knew what was going on.our son was sick in 1986 and catholic charities contacted us for our blood types.my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am his father.there is alot of facts concerning our sons adoption from the very begining.could we speek to you on a landline it would be much easier to explain.

Brandon M. :

Unfortunately, one of the terms of condition with the website is that our attorneys not have direct contact with customers (lest we steal away their business, I suppose) and, I would have no way of being credited for my help. Although this forum isn't as perfect as an in-person or over the phone conversation, it does allow us to have this conversation late at night on a Saturday. Thank you for your patience.

Brandon M. :

Do we know when your grandchildren were born? You said that they are over 21 now--do we know their ages?

Customer:

we are not very good with the reyboard so thanks for your patience.shall we continue

Brandon M. :

No problem at all. Take as much time as you need. :-)

Brandon M. :

I'm in no rush. When you get a chance, I'll just need to know if we have information about when your grandchildren were born. Thanks.

Customer:

brief from the beginning.after our son was born sally was told he would be in foster care for 4 months before he would be adopted and that if sally was married and could prove it she could return and get him.that would make it aug'69.she returned in mid july and he was already with the people who were going to adopt him.they refused to give him to her and pretty much threw her out .later we found out he was not adopted until.oct69.sally has been in contact with catholic charities on and off for all these years.it was the only contact we could have because of texas adoption laws.in 08 sally and i got back together and continued the vigilon june 26 2010 we get a call out of the blue and were told our son died in 1994.we still did not even know his name.they contacted sally in 2000 and requested $800.00 to do a search she did not have the money.after the shocking news of his death we were permitted to write the adopted mother for information we wrote letters sent pictures she sent a letter and pictures back and told us his name was lance.they still refuse to give us anymore information his last name.where he was burried where our grandchildren are how we can contact them.is there a way we can find this information without contacting catholic charities again.we need closier.and the opertunity to try to contact our grandchildren

Brandon M. :

Were your parental rights to Lance terminated?

Customer:

No!

Brandon M. :

I'm a bit confused because your last answer seemed to indicate that he was adopted. Was Lance adopted by someone else?

Customer:

yes

Brandon M. :

So he had an adoptive father, correct?

Customer:

Yes

Brandon M. :

I don't know how to say this, but a child can't be adopted unless their biological parent is either deceased or their parental rights have been terminated. If you are the biological father, and if your child had an adoptive father, that means that you have not had any parental rights to Lance since at least the time of the adoption. From a legal standpoint, you would have no legal relationship any different from that of a stranger, which means that there would be no legal relationship with any grandchildren of that child either. As such, there would not be a basis for collecting any information about the child or grandchildren except that information to which a stranger would be entitled, and that would be extremely minimal if anything at all.

Customer:

we were both under age we did not give up or surrender our parental rights at any time could either of our parents have done so

Brandon M. :

No.

Brandon M. :

And you're absolutely sure it was an adoption, right? Not just a guardianship?

Customer:

it was an adoption one month prior to sally had lance she sat down with a rep from cc and her mother her mother and the rep told her she would not have a home unless she signed papers to allow lance to go into foster care she was a minor and scared and had no choice but to sign them at the time she did not know exactly what else they might have said

Brandon M. :

If it was an adoption, then parental rights were terminated.

Customer:

thankyou for your time

Brandon M. :

Certainly. Were my answers clear, and was I able to answer in a way that was helpful?

Customer:

yes Thank You

Brandon M. :

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but it is my pleasure to help. Did you have any other question?

Customer:

no

Brandon M. :

Ok, well, let me know if there's anything else I can do. Take care, and I wish you the best.

Brandon M. :

Sorry... the rating was disabled. I hope that you can leave it now.

Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.