Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I took my son to the ER,because he had 103.5 temp., vomiting,and

I took my son to the ER,because he had 103.5 temp., vomiting,and was bleeding and a pus discharge from a fistula that had developed from a stomach biopsy done in Feb. He was admitted at 3 am this morning. He has been given pain meds., antibiotics,etc.
Then,later today, a dr. came in and said he was going to have to leave this hospital because the surgeons were not going to treat him, because there is an unwritten rule between surgeons, that they were not going to touch each others work. The surgery had been done at another hospital. That he was to be transported back to that hospital where the surgery had been done. My son told them, he didn't want them to do surgery at this time, that he just wanted treatment to help clear up the infection, and given food in his feeding tube. He was scared to do any surgery at this time, because he had lost 19 lbs. in abt 2 weeks, and he needed to have the antibiotics to clear up the infection, and the bloody discharge.
We talked to the case worker about this, and she would not budge on this. He had to be transported to the other hospital. We told her that the surgery he had was wrong. A biopsy is NOT how Chagas is checked for. It is done by checking a blood smear.
So, my question is. Is it legal to refuse treatment, and make a patient leave a hospital, and go to another
because of the unwritten rule of these surgeons refusal to treat him ?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

If it is not an emergency situation as in a matter of life or death, then yes treatment can be refused for whatever reason.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.