Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

LIABILITY INSURANCE QUESTION: I am signing up for new insurance

I am signing up for new insurance (State Farm) which will include a million dollar general liability policy over and above the $300,000 liability that is included in my homeowners.
I have recently hired a cleaning lady who comes to my house once a week.
I feel its my responsibility to take care of her if something should happen while she's there.
If she slips on the icy deck, or falls off the stepstool, will I be covered?
My fear is that the insurance company will say to me, "No, she was in your employ - this is a workman's comp deal and we're not paying." Or some other reason not to pay.
This is a little old lady that gets paid $75 cash every week. There is nothing in writing between us and I have no idea if she even files a tax return.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

Whether or not domestic workers are covered under your liability policy depends upon their status and how much they work. Full-time domestic employees, such as housekeepers and nannies, are not going to be covered under this policy unless you get a special rider attached to your policy. But, occasional domestic workers..i.e., those who work less than 35 hours a week are covered under standard homeowner/umbrella policies. Therefore, you should not require a rider for your cleaning lady. But, it's always a good idea to check specifically with your insurance agent regarding your specific facts to be 100% sure. I always recommend you do this through email so that you have documentation if a problem should arise in the future.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I truly appreciate you taking the time to do that!
Thank you also for the bonus! I appreciate your generosity and your kindness! Have a great day!