Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can a Kansas parole officer demand to meet a parolees spo

Can a Kansas parole officer demand to meet a parolee's spouse?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please tell me why the PO wishes to do this?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think she believes I've married this woman to take advantage of her. My wife and I have talked about my restitution, and she has offered to pay it so it is taken care of. The PO seems to think I should pay it on my own. The amount has increased nearly double since my conviction, from a ridiculous interest rate the state of Colorado has charged since January 2008, but that's another issue.

Thank you.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

Now, understand that parole has two sources of "laws." One is the court order, that governs the parole - it tells you what to to, what fines to pay, what classes to take, etc.

The second is the PO. Now, the PO is in theory supposed to simply enforce the court orders. However, the PO often has their own requirements as well which stem out of the probation - who to avoid, where not to go, etc. This is not unnatural. This is actually frequent.

The problem is that if you begin arguing with the PO, they can and normally will make life very hard for you. They can even violate you for something else and then have your parole taken away. Ergo, they essentially "rule" your world on parole. I hate to say it, but it is 150% true.

Now, you can always state that she is under no need to come in to meet with the PO. And she is not. If the PO insists, you can go to Court to and get the Judge to weigh in, overriding the PO. Think of the Judge as the "capo" and the PO as the "lieutenant" here, enforcing the Judge's decision.

If this happens, the Judge overrides the PO and you continue the parole. But, you'd be getting on the PO's bad side by going over their head, and this may not bode well for you in the long run because as explained above, the PO may make your probation very tough if they want to.

So while it is possible to argue with and override the PO for a questionable demand such as the one above, it is not recommended because they can make your life very, very difficult. I know it is a tough situation. It is your choice whether or not to comply, or, to go to Court and override the PO but then have to deal with the PO's possible vengeance if they are petty...

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Thank you for your kind gratuity and again, good luck.