Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I am writing a book based on the founding of a religious holiness

I am writing a book based on the founding of a religious holiness cult. All of the main characters are dead, but their children are still living. Many of my sources want to remain anonymous but agree to go on record. If I use the real names of the deceased only in my story, can this lead to defamation of character.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I suggest what the lawyer you spoke with meant that no action of defamation can be brought on behalf of the deceased. However, if a defamatory statement against the deceased also is defamatory against the living, the living can bring an action.

Therefore, I suggest, you can use the real names of the deceased