How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello - and thank you in advance for your time and patience

This answer was rated:

Hello - and thank you in advance for your time and patience with my questions.

I live in PA and I am very concerned with a close friend who is picking up momentum with a nasty overindulgence with alcohol.
Soooooooooo - my question: how difficult is it to have someone "forcefully" sent to Rehab. Basically, what I understand, is the person has to be a danger to themselves or someone else???
Is this basically correct? Is there additional information I should have or provide??

P.S. There is also an outstanding warrant for a DUI which the person was charged with - but never showed up for court. Am I able to use this to "ask" for help?? I am NOT trying to be vindictive - but it is getting to the point where this person - who is now laid off from work just sits home and drinks alllllllllllllll day and night. Cocktail hour now begins at 6 A.M.

Thanks again for your help.

P.S. Please do not reply saying nothing can be done until the person is ready - cuz I DO NOT see that happening.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

You cannot have this person forced into rehab. What you are referring to is having them placed into a psychiatric observation for 72 hours.

I suggest if you want rehab, you have to turn them in on the warrant and then let the court order Rehab.

I am sorry that your friend is suffering this way. It is good they have you to keep an eye on their well being

If you want to have them consider for observation, you need to call the police. And at that point, they will arrest them on the open warrant.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If they DO arrest him on the open warrant - will they send him to Rehab or is he going to have to go thru the D.T.'s in county jail. I would like to make sure he doesn't suffer through the withdrawal - I understand it is quite traumatic.


Thanks again for your patience


They would place him in county jail unti he goes in front of a judge.

He would have to be suicidal at that time of the arrest to have him moved from the jail into a hospital facility for observation.
Sam and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you