Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Hello - and thank you in advance for your time and patience

Hello - and thank you in advance for your time and patience with my questions.

I live in PA and I am very concerned with a close friend who is picking up momentum with a nasty overindulgence with alcohol.
Soooooooooo - my question: how difficult is it to have someone "forcefully" sent to Rehab. Basically, what I understand, is the person has to be a danger to themselves or someone else???
Is this basically correct? Is there additional information I should have or provide??

P.S. There is also an outstanding warrant for a DUI which the person was charged with - but never showed up for court. Am I able to use this to "ask" for help?? I am NOT trying to be vindictive - but it is getting to the point where this person - who is now laid off from work just sits home and drinks alllllllllllllll day and night. Cocktail hour now begins at 6 A.M.

Thanks again for your help.

P.S. Please do not reply saying nothing can be done until the person is ready - cuz I DO NOT see that happening.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

You cannot have this person forced into rehab. What you are referring to is having them placed into a psychiatric observation for 72 hours.

I suggest if you want rehab, you have to turn them in on the warrant and then let the court order Rehab.

I am sorry that your friend is suffering this way. It is good they have you to keep an eye on their well being

If you want to have them consider for observation, you need to call the police. And at that point, they will arrest them on the open warrant.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If they DO arrest him on the open warrant - will they send him to Rehab or is he going to have to go thru the D.T.'s in county jail. I would like to make sure he doesn't suffer through the withdrawal - I understand it is quite traumatic.

Thanks again for your patience

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello

They would place him in county jail unti he goes in front of a judge.

He would have to be suicidal at that time of the arrest to have him moved from the jail into a hospital facility for observation.
Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.