Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

My ex-employee had her facebook account set to "Keep logged

My ex-employee had her facebook account set to "Keep logged in on this computer" on her work computer in my store. While at work she used facebook to instant message potential customers for her personal side business. When I discovered this, I fired her. I also logged into her facebook account and copied all that information so I have proof that she was running her side business during my store's business hours. I had specifically asked her NOT to do this. Now she has applied for unemployment benefits. I want to protest this and use her facebook posts as proof of her wrongdoing. But first, I want to make sure that I won't get in trouble for anything. Did I do something illegal by logging into her facebook account even though her password XXXXX left in the password XXXXX?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

If this employee used company's work computer to access social or media websites, such as Facebook, such internet use would be subject to monitoring by the employer and employer does have the right to track down any use of company's computers and employer does not have to give notice of such computer activity monitoring / tracking.

So, basically if the employee used work computer to access websites and then left computer logged into the website and subsequently employer logs into the computer and copies the activity, it would not be considered illegal..

I wish you the best of luck!