Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I co-signed on an auto lease with my grandson. He does not

I co-signed on an auto lease with my grandson. He does not live with me and he has his own insurance policy Could I be held liable if he should be sued after an accident?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you with information in this regard.

Please tell me

1 - are you on the title and registration as a co owner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this is a leased vehicle. I am a co lessee

I see.

Yes, you can be sued. However, it would have to be proved that you were aware or had knowledge that your grandson was a negligent person and that you should never have signed because of that.

So while you can be sued, it may not be a win for anyone.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand your statement that it may not be a win for anyone--please elaborate. Also if I thought he was a negligent person, I never would have co-signed. He just does not have any credit history which I was trying to help him establish.

I apologize for not being more clear

What I mean is unless a person who sues you can prove that you knew he was reckless then they would not win against you

However, I suggest that you will also want to be sure that his insurance is the best he can get with all the maximum coverage for bodily injury, etc.