Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I own a house with my Dad. The costs of keeping this house

I own a house with my Dad. The costs of keeping this house up are more then I can bare. But he wants to stay in it and I want to sell it. He claims he does not have money to buy my share and he won't let anyone on my family live in it even though we are joint owners.

How do I proceed.
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Ray :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will the expert assisting you tonight.

Ray :

Here you remedy since the property is jointly owned would be to file a suit to partition in court and to have court order the sale.The court would have it appraised and set terms of sale.

Ray :

This is the process under the law for such a sale.And the court would also deal with removing your father as well.

Ray :

The lawsuit is filed as a Special Proceeding in the Superior Court division of the county in which the land sits

Ray :

Reference to Petition to Partition for you.

Ray :

All the lawyer fees, costs of sale, filing fees, etc all come off the gross sale so they are split evenly by the court and then the remainder is divided among you both.

Ray :

You will need a local real estate litigation lawyer. You ca locate one here..

Ray :

Thanks for your patience tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up about a suit for partition.

Ray :

You do have the right to force a sale through the courts.

Ray :

More for you here.

Ray :

Thanks again for the chance to help.

Ray :

If you have more follow up please let me know.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.
If you have mroe questions please just ask it is never a problem.Thanks..
Ray, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law