Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have requested a copy of Certificate of Occupancy from my

I have requested a copy of Certificate of Occupancy from my employer for a new office space we are relocating to, but I have not been able to get a copy. I requested this document several times. What can I do next to get this copy? Can I refuse to move?
Expert:  Zachary replied 9 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question. I need to know a bit more information to understand the context of yoru question.

Why is it important that you get the Certificate of Occupancy?

Why would you want to refuse to move to the new office?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

This is a remodeled space (used to be an old clinic) and there was asbestos found in the building. Also, the renovation project has a phase 2 which will start sometime after our relocation. I would like to have a copy of this document for my piece of mind that the building is up to code and there is no asbestos. Do I have a right for a copy of CO?

Expert:  Zachary replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for clearing that up.

You do not have a right to a copy of the CO from your employer. The law has held that an employee has a limited right to obtain information from his/her employer, which includes only wage and hour information, and information regarding benefits offered or provided by the employer. The law does not provide that an employee has a right to obtain records such as an CO, regardless of the justification for wanting it.

However, a CO is public information and you have a right to obtain a copy of it from the City's Code Compliance office.

Likewise, your right to refuse to work in the new office space is not protected. In other words, you have the right to refuse, but if you do refuse, the employer has the right to terminate you for cause.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok, thank you. I will contact the City Code's Compliance office.

Expert:  Zachary replied 9 months ago.
If they will not simply give you a copy, ask them to let you make a Freedom Of Information Request for it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs