Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.

I live in NC. I had a debt collector call me about and old

I live in NC. I had a debt collector call me about and old HSBC card. I have no record of the card. He said I made my last payment on April 10, 2010. He is threatning to send a summons to me today if I don't pay. I asked him to send me evidence of this debt. He will not. I thought he should do that before I pay him anything. What about the statues of limitations? I think it is 3 years in North Carolina.
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are correct that the statute of limitations is three years in North Carolina. If he does file suit against you, you can have it dismissed as being 'time barred' by the statute of limitations. Since the debt is barred by the statute of limitations, you do not have to pay them anything.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. (It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit). Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Get Job. I am relieved to get your advise. When does the statue of limitations start? Is it when I made my last payment?

Jim

Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Hello Jim,

Yes, it starts when the last payment was made, so it would have expired April 10th of this year.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. I will give you and excellent rating.

Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Thank you; happy to help and best of luck!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

One last question. The Attorneys office said I made a payment on April 30,2011 of $25. The collector told me my balance would be reduced to $500. He lied. I made the payment and my balance didn't go down. I was tricked. Can I tell the judge that. Also the card is in my wife's name. I made the payment. Does that make a difference

Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service! It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-joepatterson/

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,

Joseph