LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

IF 2 adult men make a verbal commitment such as "you help me,

IF 2 adult men make a verbal commitment such as "you help me, I help you" moneywise does that constitute a verbal contract? If one of the men provides significant help when the other is in need is the other man committed to help when the first man needs help?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. What were the details of the agreement? Were there any specifics discussed regarding repayment, how much, when, etc? It seems like the idea of " you help me and I help you" is very general and vague, so I am trying to get an idea if there was an agreement and if so, what the terms were.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

There were no specific arrangements other than the general understanding

Robert, thank you for the additional information. Based upon how vague the agreement was, it would be hard to argue that there was any type of enforceable verbal contract/agreement. If man A was in need and man B provided him with money, he should have made it clear that it was on the condition that 1) he be repaid and this was a loan not a gift or 2) that it was conditioned upon him getting the money back if and when he is in need himself. What if the time came when the other man needed help and the amount of money was less or more then what was previously given? What is the other man was never in need? There is nothing wrong with working together and the willingness to help each other out but it needs to be conditioned upon something happening. If you needed help and the other man refused to provide it and you sued, the Judge is going to want to know what the terms and conditions of the agreement were and how the other man breached it. If you told the Judge that the agreement was " I will help you and you will help me", it really lacks substance and enforceability. If money was lent and the other party is unwilling to repay, I would try and sue under that basis, this it was a loan not a gift and the person has failed to repay the money lent.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 7+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.