TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

If a civil suit is settled for $550 million, approximately

If a civil suit is settled for $550 million, approximately how much would the person who initiated the suit be paid? Thank you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

This depends entirely on the way the attorney representing the person set up their attorney-client agreement. If the person was paying his attorney hourly fees up front and paid for all the expenses in the case, then it is likely that the person kept the entire amount.

If the person had a contingency agreement with their attorney (the much more likely scenario), then the person would only be entitled to keep 55%-65% of the amount paid after expenses. So, if expenses in the case are 1 million, then he would get to keep 247.5m to 357.5m.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,