Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have an interesting situation. While out of town at a conference,

I have an interesting situation. While out of town at a conference, I hired my neighbor to take care of my dogs. I paid her in advance. Both dogs are housed in a 30 x 30 dog run. The neighbor decided to take the dogs out of the run and put them into another neighbor's horse pasture (chain link - no way for them to get out). She neglected to put the 2 horses in the barn. One of the horses ended up trampling my 1 year old Briard. The incident resulted in a broken front leg. I have paid close to $5000 to date in Vet costs. (Surgery was performed to correct the leg). The owner of the property and the horse where the incident occurred did not have any knowledge of the dogs being placed on her property, and I did not give my consent. The person responsible for the incident does not want to pay any of the vet fees because she feels that I should have had pet insurance. I am debating as to whether or not I should file a claim with my homeowner's insurance. However, since I was out of town at the time of the incident, and it did not happen on my property, I am not sure if they will cover it. I live in Southern California.
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear about the injury to your pet.

I suggest that you could first consult with your homeowners insurance and see how much they will pay toward the vet bills. And if you have a deductible then you can tell the Pet Sitter that is what she owes

IF the homeowners does not cover any of it, then you will have to bring this matter to court and I suggest you have an excellent chance of winning because obviously the Pet Sitter was negligent.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.