How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. My name is Michelle. My question is about Power of

Resolved Question:

Hello. My name is Michelle. My question is about Power of Attorney documents.
My mother had named me as her Executrix for her Will and also named me as her POA 20 years ago, of which originally stated she needed to be incompetant for the POA to take effect.
My mother suffered a Heart Attack in March of 2013. While she was in the hospital, I was told that she was incompetant and at that time that I needed to take over her affairs. So I did. Then , a month later I brought her to the Neurologist, this was part of her discharge paper work from the hospital that she needed to go see this type of doctor because she is suffering with Dementia. The Neurologist informed us that the POA she currently had at that time was not sufficient because she did not want to deem her incompetant yet, the doctor wants to treat the dementia first to see just how far along my mother is with this disease. Kindof a wait and see type attitude , which was fine with us. The Doctor told us that my mother is not capable of handling her own financial affairs or health needs. Therefore, the Doc told us that we needed to have a new POA drawn up to say that I have POA without her having to be incompetant. I then took my mother to her Attorney (he did her original documents for her) and we requested the POA be changed. The Attorney told us that we needed a letter from the Neurologist stating that she needs this. So , I got the letter from the Doctor. The attorney gave her a new POA. It is now May. Unfortunately, my mother has been supporting my sibling and his family for 15 years and they live in her house. My sibling is financially, emotionally, verbally abusive to my mother and physically abusive to her property. I do not live with my mother , but have been taking care of her by going back and forth and doing and doing and doing.....Last month my sibling talked her into removing me and naming him on her POA. He took her down to her attorney and had him change it without my knowledge. Is that legal?? Was her attorney allowed to do that? If I needed a letter from the doctor because my mother is not of sound mind and suffering with Dementia, why didn"t this sibling need one? I am beginning to think that this Attorney of hers is not on the up and up. Hopefully , you can answer my question as to if what my brother did is legal?? And if it's not legal...what do you recomend I do about it? Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your legal question.

Unfortunately, if your mother's Neurologist has stated that he does not believe she is legally incompetent, then she is free to revoke your POA at any time. Her attorney was allowed to do this, although he perhaps should not have done it and exercised some discretion here.

Even if it was legal on its face, you can challenge the POA on the basis of undue influence. Undue Influence is where a person exercises control and dominates the will of the other person, forcing them to make a gift (such as a POA).

Further, if what you say is true about your brother, you should consult with an attorney about bringing elder abuse charges against him in addition to bringing a claim for undue influence and overturning the POA.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.