Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

I filed for divorce on 12/27/12 the judge requested an amendment

I filed for divorce on 12/27/12 the judge requested an amendment from my husband and I regarding child support on both of us. It was refiled on July 26, 2013. I spoke with the judgement clerk on 9/13/2013 and she said that my file had been signed off and was in with the judge waiting for HIM to sign off as of 8/16/2013. I have been trying to call the court, the court administrator, the judgement clerk and NO ONE picks up the phone! What can I do to find out if this divorce went through?

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. In which California county is your case proceeding?

Customer:

Los Angeles, Pasadena Court

Brandon M. :

Ok. Did either you or your soon-to-be-ex provide a self-addressed envelope to the court to mail a copy of the judgment to you?

Customer:

Yes

Brandon M. :

Thank you for that information. The judgments, once signed, usually hit the mailbox pretty quickly. So if you have not received anything in the mail, the odds are very high that it hasn't been signed yet. If the judgment hasn't been signed, then the marriage is not yet dissolved. That said, the clerks are really not in a position to go through the case file and interpret the contents, so telephoning (as you have discovered) is usually going to be fruitless. If you'd like to know the up-to-the-minute status of your case, the only option really is to physically go to the court and ask the clerk of the family law division to pull your case file. That will allow you to have the court's entire file in your hand, including any signed or unsigned judgments.

Brandon M. :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes. Does it normally take this long? Neither party is disputing anything.

Brandon M. :

Two months is longer than normal, but it's not so long that it's abnormal. Your case would actually be a lower priority BECAUSE there is no dispute. I've had plenty of matters go two or three months before signature.

Customer:

Ok.... Thank you for your time and answers.

Brandon M. :

To put it another way, I wouldn't freak out yet even though it has run a bit long.

Brandon M. :

Certainly. Did you have any other question?

Customer:

:)

Customer:

No, thank you

Brandon M. :

It was my pleasure to help. Have a good afternoon.

Customer:

you too.