Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I am in a civil dispute with Discover Card. Today the Judge

I am in a civil dispute with Discover Card. Today the Judge dimissed the case for the 2nd time. This time for Discover Card attorney failing to appear in court. The Judge said there is a statue of limitations on this case. When does the statue start and how can I find out what the time frame for them to continue filing is. I think it is 5 years but 5 years from what date?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Each state has a different statute of limitations. In what state was this debt obtained, was it Missouri or a different location?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your follow-up, Peggy.

'The statute of limitations on debt in Missouri is 5 years from the date of last activity. That means that for example if you charged your card in 2010 but have had debt on it since 2006, all of the debt is still valid because the last activity was only 3 years ago. Activity can also include making payments or 'assuming' the debt by claiming it as yours.

Hope that helps.