Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

is it the law in Iowa to have an autopsy performed after a

is it the law in Iowa to have an autopsy performed after a death?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

According to Iowa's 331.802 Code, an autopsy must be performed to answer medicolegal questions that are deemed in the “public’s interest” or to address a question of law. The entity that makes this decision is the local office of the State Medical Examiner, and they can override a family's wishes if there is a compelling reason (i.e. suspicion of foul play, etc).

As such, the State Medical Examiner makes the decision whether or not to have an autopsy.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My sister passed away this am. She was only 49. If her husband says no autopsy can we, her family, request one anyway to rule out fowl play? Her husband has threatened her (so she says) but she has also been a heavy drinker this past year. We just want to know for our own piece of mind. Thank you!!

L,

I am very sorry for your family's loss.

If her husband says no autopsy can we, her family, request one anyway to rule out fowl play?

Yes. First of all, as explained, it is not his call to make, but that of the State Medical Examiner (i.e. coroner). So they make this decision, not he. You can request (or confirm) that an autopsy be performed by contacting the county's coroner. See here.

They make this decision, and if you state "we think there was foul play," they generally will do this.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Thank you for your gratuity.