TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have some nsf checks from 2009-10 can I take them to civil

I have some nsf checks from 2009-10 can I take them to civil court still and also add interest of 1.5 %

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

Yes, the statute of limitations for a civil action on a bad check is 5 years from the date on which the check was payable. Thus, you can still sue on these checks.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what about 1.5 interest

Not necessarily. The law in North Carolina provides that you may recover the lesser of $500 or 3x check amount, but not less than $100, on each check which is a bad check, but only after you send a 30 day demand for payment of the check prior to filing the lawsuit.