TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

If my daughter is listed on my banking accounts can collection

If my daughter is listed on my banking accounts can collection agencies she owes money to come after the assets in my accounts?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

Generally, the law presumes the when a person is listed on a bank account, they have full rights to the money in that bank account. Thus, any account on which a person is listed is liable to seizure by a creditor through a garnishment order. So, in short, the answer to your question is YES. If your daughter is sued by the collection agency, and the collection agency wins the case and gets a judgment, it could file the judgment in New Mexico and ask for a writ of garnishment against your bank account on which your daughter is also listed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much!

My pleasure, please let me know if there is any other information I can provide you.