How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask John Your Own Question

John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4081
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine has some revealing photos of me. I consensually

Resolved Question:

A friend of mine has some revealing photos of me. I consensually let her take the photos at the time. At a point in our friendship I commented that she could blackmail me with them. I didn't make this comment as a joke, but I also didn't make the comment to give permission. It was just a random comment in passing at the time.

Some time later, apparently that's what she decided to do. She has started to demand money to keep them private.

Do I have any legal ground since she took the photos with my permission? Or if she simply took my comment seriously?

I have spoken with he to express my dislike of it, asked her to stop, etc. and I am not gaining any ground with the conversation.

I live in MN, she now lives in FL.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

Even though you may have voluntarily consented to the taking of the photos, her demanding money to not reveal them to the public at large is a crime that is know as extortion. Demanding money in exchange for not revealing some private matter, even though it may be legal to reveal the private matter, is extortion (aka blackmail) and is unlawful. Even if she legally owns the rights to the film or electronic files, absent your consent to have your image released to the public (i.e., publishing rights) they cannot legally be published without your permission.

What I might suggest you do is start recording these conversations, texts, emails, however she is making these demands, then file a report with the police. That should get you the resolution you are seeking.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've done some research before posting here, and most of what I found said that the "police wouldn't touch it" or that they'd have so little they could do anyway, leaving most of the legwork to me unless I hire an attorney to go after her.


Any thoughts on this? Would a trip to the local PD and speaking with someone there actually get the ball rolling?


Also, is this a civil or criminal matter? If it's civil then I can see why the police wouldn't (or couldn't) do anything.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Both your local police and the FBI (the publishing of photos being an interstate crime) would have jurisdiction on the matter. You may get a lack of interest from the county prosecutor. In similar matters, I have found that the county prosecutor will take the matter and prosecute it. It may be the case that your local prosecutor will not take it. In that case I'd suggest your taking it to the FBI, and the attorney general would most certainly take it. It is a criminal mater.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4081
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney.
John and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.