Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

If a person is in jail and get put "in the hole", can their

If a person is in jail and get put "in the hole", can their lawyer get their amount of time in the hole reduced?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, this type of internal discipline is handled by jail / prison officials and the only way an attorney might be able to get the inmate out of the "hole" if the lawyer can prove to the judge that being placed in the hole would cause an imminent harm to the inmate's health or life.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the person has a bond hearing coming up, how does being "in the hole" affect the outcome of the bond hearing?

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Why was the inmate placed in the hole?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The jail won't tell me, they just say that he violated jail policy and there will be a disciplinary hearing.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

What are the charges pending against the inmate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CDV high and aggravated which got upped to attempted murder and kidnapping, but now his wife (the "victim") is on his side and dropped the restraining order against him.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Given the violent nature of the criminal charges pending against this inmate, it is likely that the prosecutor will bring the disciplinary issues of this inmate to the judge's attention during the bond hearing and will ask the judge to either order for the inmate to be detained without bond or for a very high bond amount and it would be up to the judge's discretion to make the decision whether to grant any bond and the amount of bond.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more thing. Do you know how long they usually keep them in lockdown? And is it until the disciplinary hearing, or what?

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

At disciplinary hearing a decision will be made whether to continue detaining this inmate in the hole or to release him from the hole.

Generally an inmate who violates jail / prison rules can be held in the hole for up to 30 days and in some extreme cases even longer, but most inmates start to comply with the jail rules after being held in the hole for a few days.

I wish you the best of luck!