How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6515
Experience:  Legal Expert
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father (78) was placed by his wife in an assisted living

Resolved Question:

My father (78) was placed by his wife in an assisted living center in early September for vascular dementia. She promised him she would never put him in a nursing home. The goal was a two week stay for med eval (I believe he was overmedicated on Seroquel, anti-depressants, lamictal, and many other meds. He was able to walk in the center and was still able to talk. Within a couple of weeks he was on an even higher dose of Seroquel and had a face-first fall. The staff and his wife checked him for a stroke (he has essential thrombocytosis which causes strokes). The next day he could hardly walk so his wife called an ambulance. A ct scan was done and was clear. He continued to go downhill at the center, and developed a UTI, dehydration and dysphagia and had lost 11 lbs. The staff and his wife waited at least four days to take him to the hospital and my sisters and I had to convince my father's wife to take him. They had done nothing for his dehydration, UTI or dysphagia. The center ordered a swallow test and my father's wife told me that it showed food lodged in his esophogus and they were recommending he receive nothing by mouth, including meds. Later the speech pathogogist who did the test told my sister they would never recommend nothing by mouth. My father's wife offered 3 options to me: get a 2nd opinion, leave him at the center with nothing by mouth or take him home and give him nothing by mouth. He has a very vague DNR (she may have signed a more specific DNR since), and her intention was to let him die from dehydration or aspiration pneumonia. I called the center at 8:30 pm to check on him and the aid I spoke with told me that my father had eaten breakfast but had been asleep the rest of the day, refusing lunch. Finally at 8:30pm he was attempting to get my father up and feed him. This was with the knowledge that he was dehydrated. The center finally started him on antibiotics four days after they suspected he had a UTI and had attempted to get a urine sample with no luck. Once admitted to the hospital, my father was treated for moderate dehydration and the UTI with IV fluids and antibiotics. They gave him a bedside swallow test and said he was fine to eat soft foods. They kept him for four days and the hospital staff said that he needed to be in a skilled nursing home with 24 hr. care. My father's wife refused this and promised to hire someone to sit with him, but only during meal times to feed him and during the night. Once he returned to the center, she told the staff not to give my sisters or me any information about my father other than his general state (he is fine), if he ate and slept. My father is in a wheelchair all the time now and cannot speak more than one or two words occasionally, so I consider him incapacitated and I do not trust the center will take care of him. I visited a few days ago, arriving a little after 9am and found him lying sideways on his bed with no pants on, obviously he had tried to get out of bed, his head pressed against the wall, the pad under him, his depends and his shirt soaked with urine and feces in a pitch dark room. He had not eaten breakfast. I spoke with the medical director, an rn, and she told me that an aid had given him a shower at 7am. That aid walked up and she asked her if she had given him a shower and she said no, I am assigned to a different pt. today. My sisters and I are visiting daily since we feel that is the only way we will know how he is doing. We believe my father's wife just wants him to die because he has a lot of money which is all going to her. We want him out of misery, but do not believe he should die from neglect. I made a report to the state (TX), they went to the facility the next day, but cannot give me any info for 60 days since I unfortunately made the complaint anonymous. At this point, there is not much we can do since we don't have the money to hire an attorney. We would like to be able to get details from the center staff about my father. He is still not always able to drink on his own, and the staff is not giving him enough fluids to prevent dehydration.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 1 year ago.
HiCustomer I'm Thomas and will be happy to assist you. My goal is to make you a very satisfied customer! Thanks in advance for your patience.

Unfortunately, unless your father made a durable power of attorney that named you or someone other than his wife as his agent in the event of his incapacity, the only option you have to try and take control of the situation and to obtain more information is to obtain guardianship over your father and his property. To do that, you would need to file for guardianship in the court where he is a primary resident. You would need to prove his incapacity. In addition, you would need to prove why his wife is not competent, able, or best positioned to protect him and his interests.

Although you can attempt to undertaken a guardianship proceeding without an attorney, it would only be advisable to do so when there will be no contest over a person's ability to be guardian. Since his wife would likely choose to contest anyone other than her becoming guardian, it would be a court battle turning on many specific evidentiary and procedural hurdles that a non-attorney would probably not be able to navigate successfully.

You would need an elder law and/or estate attorney to assist you.

I'm sorry I didn't have good news and an easy method by which you could achieve your objectives. The law unfortunately doesn't provide an easy means in a situation like this. Again, I'm sorry the law is so strict in this regard.

I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for explaining this. I didn't think there was anything to be done other than hiring an attorney, but now I know for sure.

Best regards,


Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome and thank you. Again, I'm sorry I didn't have better news for you and I do wish you the best.

I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating for my assistance. Thanks so much and have a great weekend.
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6515
Experience: Legal Expert
Thomas McJD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.