Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

Is it the law that here in Florida Homestead property must

Is it the law that here in Florida Homestead property must be left to minor children where there is no spouse involved. If one child is over 18 what rights do they have?
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

For the most part the homestead passes to the minor children. If you transfer the property (illegally) the minor children would still be able to stay in the home potentially for life.

The Florida Constitution in Article X, section 4(c) provides:
(c) The homestead shall not be subject to devise if the owner is survived by spouse or minor child, except the homestead may be devised to the owner's spouse if there be no minor child....

If the owner dies without a will then the property passes to the owner's minor children. (devise mean to pass on to)

As far as the oldest child, if you have a will and he is not indicated as the beneficiary his only claim may be to property that is unallocated in the Will. If there is no Will he gets an equal share to his siblings.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).