Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

I AM A PATIENT WITH ASTHMA I HAVE MEDICAL CERTIFICATION ON

I AM A PATIENT WITH ASTHMA I HAVE MEDICAL CERTIFICATION ON FILE WITH MY EMPLOYER. I WAS FORCED TO GO INTO THE BASEMENT INTO A SMM ROOM WITH DUSTY AND MOLDEY FILE AND SHRED DOCUMENT. I GOT SICK AFTER A VERY SHOET TIME. I WENT TO MY SUPERVISOR AND SUBMITTED A DR'S STATEMENT STATING THAT I SHOULD AVOID THE MOLD AND DUST. THEY MET FOR THIRTY MINUTES AND THEIR SOLUTION WAS TO BRING THE OLD AND DUSTY FILE TO ME, FROM DOWNSTAIR, UPSTAIRS I WORKED ON THE FILE FOR A WHILE AND GOT EVEN SICKER WITH MY ASTHMA. WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

I am sorry to hear of your situation.

Under the American with Disabilities Act your employer cannot fire you because you have asthma. They are required to make reasonable accommodations for you. In the case of the file, or other dusty files this might be to copy the file so that you are not forced to work with documents that are unhealthy for you. You might also ask for a dust mask or other breathing apparatus to keep the dust away from you.

Violations of the act carry significant penalties for the employer. HR departments tend to be aware of the law which is why they were very understanding of your situation.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).