Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

my 7 yr old tells me her father (my ex) likes to play a game

my 7 yr old tells me her father (my ex) likes to play a game with her of dropping his pants to the floor and shaking his naked butt at her. She then does the same back to him. Would this rise to the level of indecent liberties? It all sounds very weird to me.

Chris T., JD :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Customer:

great, thanks

Chris T., JD :

While definitely strange and inappropriate, it would not be illegal unless there was some element of sexual gratification that can be proven. It is not against the law to be nude around a child, or for a child to be nude around an adult.

Chris T., JD :

There would have to be some inappropriate touching and an element of sexual gratification. As you've described the facts, that does not seem to be present, or at least it can't be proven.

Customer:

we have a current investigation going about possible sexual abuse in a separate incident, but I am not sure if this is something I should tell the investigators about (for fear it makes me look vindictive and histrionic)

Chris T., JD :

It is something you should tell the investigators about. They can use this in their case to show that there are certain propensities your ex has. In other words, it does not necessarily have to be a crime to be relevant to an investigation.

Customer:

ok - thx!

Chris T., JD :

For example, say a person is being investigated for theft, and you knew they were purchasing expensive items. While purchasing expensive things is not a crime, it would certainly be relevant to the theft investigation.