Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

When is a divorce vaild? the date the parties sign the divorce

When is a divorce vaild? the date the parties sign the divorce papers or when the judge signs off on it?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.

Under Virginia law, a divorce is considered finalized and a marriage dissolved when a judge officially signs the divorce decree. This decree will outline all court orders pertaining to your divorce and mandate specific custody and support orders.
.
Even after the final signed documents are submitted, the judge could still refuse to sign if something was not done correctly or there was some objection by either party based on fraud or duress. So until the judge signs off on the final divorce decree and enters it into the court records, the divorce decree is not final.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so under the law if someone got married again before the judge signed the decree the marriage would be illegal?

Technically yes, this would be considered bigamy and that marriage would automatically be "void ab initio" or "void from inception". Bigamy is subject to prosecution as either a felony (Va. Code § 18.2-362) or a misdemeanor (Va. Code §§ 20-38.1 to 20-40.
.
.
Thanks