How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 22984
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a mailing from the law firm "Stead Law Firm" I spoke

This answer was rated:

I received a mailing from the law firm "Stead Law Firm" I spoke with a Megan Terbay, Legal Intake Specialist that informed me that my interest rate is too high and suggested that the firm she works for can save me money with my mortgage payments. When I try to search the website that I was sent "" I get another person Harry C Kaufman of Counsel.

The email has a Christopher Stead BAR #5786 out of Irvine Ca 92618 - 16500 Bake Parkway Suite 200

Need help before I send papers and bank statements that I was told to do and they would work with my mortgage company to get a better rate. I wasn't asked to send any money but in my initial call to them I asked was it a fee and was told by the person I spoke with she could not answer that question.


I would be leery of this company. While I can't prove that this is a scam, the signs are not good:

1) The website indicates the company is less than 5 months old and the domain name will expire in 7 more months. This is not a good sign.

2) There is no contact information on the website. There is no contact information on the website's WHOIS either. Also, the firm is using a proxy service to hide its actual identity and location. This would be a very unusual decision for a law firm.

3) According to the California Bar Association, there is no such attorney licensed to practice law in California as Christopher Stead. If I look up the Bar #5786, I find that the number belongs to a lawyer who is deceased.

For all of the above reasons, I'd pass this firm up. Taken altogether, it looks far too risky for comfort.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I gave by SS# XXXXX can I do?


Hello Elizabeth,

If you gave out sensitive personal information, you want to take all possible precautions against identity theft.

If you gave out bank and credit card information, call your bank and credit card carriers IMMEDIATELY. Let them know your account has been compromised. They will probably tell you to close the account and open a new one, which you should do.

Then you must also put a fraud alert against your credit history, because they may have enough information to take out credit cards and loans in your name and then default on them, which can cause you problems. A fraud alert will protect you from that.

To get a fraud alert, contact any any one of the three credit reporting services, Equifax, Experian or TransUnion (any one of them will automatically notify the other two) and ask to have a fraud alert placed on your credit history. It is free for 90 days, and it means that if, during that time, anyone attempts to open up a credit card or take out a loan in your name, you will get a phone call before any such loan or credit line gets authorized. After 90 days, you can continue the service for a fee. I'm linking you to Experian, because I have the link handy. Again, they all perform the same service and any one will notify the other two.

A fraud alert does not negatively affect your credit. It simply protects it. You should also monitor your credit history and review your bank and credit card statements carefully to report any unauthorized transactions. If you do this early enough, credit cards will reimburse you for your loss and even your bank may be helpful.

As you also disclosed your social security number, then you would need to notify the social security administration that your number hs been compromised. You won't have to change your SSN, but you should report the issue to the IRS as well so that nobody can try to use your number to collect benefits or tax refunds due you. You are going to want to follow the directions on the Social Security Administration's website here.

Finally, you need to report the fraud to your police, to the FBI at and to the Federal Trade Commission at, so that they can try to find these folks and bring them to justice.
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 22984
Experience: Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Zoey, JD and 13 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.