TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Hi! Im writing a fictional story where a young lady is raped

Hi! I'm writing a fictional story where a young lady is raped and later revealed to be pregnant. As a result of that experience she starts to show signs of paranoid schizophrenia, convinced that the unborn child is a demon trying to take over humanity.

My question is if a pregnant woman with signs of mental instability but no professional diagnosis requests for an abortion, would she be denied? Could a doctor intervene in that kind of situation? Or because its her body, would it be allowed?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

While a woman has a right to seek an abortion, a doctor has discretion to turn down her request for treatment if the doctor believes that she is exhibiting signs of mental illness that create a situation where the doctor believes the woman is not making a rational decision. So, in the end, it's up to the doctor to proceed with the requested procedure.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Zachary